Do you want to enforce your rights under the I-864? If you’re like most of our clients, you probably don’t actually have a copy of your signed I-864. That’s no surprise, since the form is filed by the sponsor - so there’s no reason you would have a copy on file.

Fortunately, it’s easy and free to request a copy of your signed I-864 from the government. To do this, you file a Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) request. The request is filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

How do I file a FOIA request?

A FOIA request is submitted to USCIS using the Form G-639. (Actually, you don’t technically have to use your form, but it’s better to just use their form). You can file the request by email, but we recommend sending it by certified mail. The address to send it to is:

National Records Center (NRC)
FOIA/PA Office
P.O. Box 648010
Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010

How long will it take?

Too long. Usually USCIS will respond within roughly 4-6 months. Under federal law, they are supposed to respond to you within just 20 days. If you have filed your request and it has been more than 30 days, you are welcome to contact us. We may be able to challenge the delay on your behalf.